Together We’re Making a Difference
Providing Food to Families in Need.
There are over 10,000 individuals in West Seattle that live below the federal poverty level. The cost of living in Seattle is 49% higher than the national average which means many of our working families are seriously struggling to make ends meet.
2018 WSFB Statistics
- We distribute over 1.8 million pounds of food and spent $303,000 on purchased food.
- 11,500 individuals, including 4,428 children and 1,373 seniors, in need of food and services counted on the WSFB at some time during the year.
- We delivered food weekly to the homes of approximately 250 elderly and disabled individuals not able to make it to the food bank through our Mobile Food Bank Services.
- Our Backpack Program provided school children at risk of hunger over the weekend with 9,716 packs of six kid-friendly meals weekly through 13 West Seattle schools.
- Our Pet Pantry distributed 15,000 pounds of pet food and accessories to clients to take care of their furry friends.
- $225,000 worth of baby food, formula, diapers, car seats, strollers, furniture, toys, clothing and other accessories were distributed to parents of infants and toddlers through our Baby and Child Corner.
- Our Community Connections Program helps the families we serve access additional information and services from dozens of partner organizations.
- Our Bookcase provided 11,786 books to the children and adults we serve to encourage healthy reading habits.
- 572 volunteers donated 29,250 hours of service to the food bank through our Volunteer Program. This would be equivalent to 14 full time employees!