Volunteer Coordinator Job Description
West Seattle Food Bank
3419 SW Morgan
Seattle WA 98126
The West Seattle Food Bank (WSFB) is a private, non-profit organization whose mission is to strengthen the community through the power of neighbors helping neighbors, working to ensure all in our community have access to the essential necessities of living. The agency was established in 1983 and in March of 2020 merged with the West Seattle Helpline (WSH) to expand services. Primary services include distribution of food, financial assistance, clothes, and referrals for additional services and resources. The agency serves 1,000 – 2,000 households every week. Service area is primarily in the southwest portion of Seattle (West Seattle). In addition to the above services the agency also assists with supplies for infants and children, pet food, and offers free books.
The Volunteer Coordinator (V.C.) will report directly to the Executive Director but work closely with program staff to ensure effective service delivery and coordination of volunteer activities. The V.C. will be the primary staff responsible for the recruitment, selection, orientation, and training of all volunteers serving in the West Seattle Food Bank programs and events. This position will play a key role in integrating volunteer policies and procedures between WSFB and WSH and will also be available to support program and fundraising activities. Most of the time will be split between the food bank, hotline, and clothesline, but some time will also be devoted to assisting with events and fundraising activities. Approximately 10-20% of the time for this position will be at the West Seattle Clothesline, most of the remaining time at the West Seattle Food Bank main location. The ability to orientation and train volunteers at remote locations will be required, in addition to training and orientation in person at our West Seattle location.
Note: During the period of the Covid-19 response some of this work may be done remotely but much of the time will need to be spent in both the Food Bank and Clothesline.
Primary tasks include:
- Volunteer Recruitment & Management
- Work with ED & staff to recruit and onboard new volunteers for program, administration, and fundraising activities.
- Coordinate volunteer schedules using Google Calendar or other tools to ensure shifts are covered.
- Maintain and update volunteer recruitment, training, and guidance materials
- Respond to volunteer inquiries
- Coordinate & lead volunteer trainings, orientations, and appreciation events.
- Work with staff to create and expand volunteer recruitment strategies
- Manage volunteer database(s).
- Attend outreach resource fairs and other community events
- Program & Fundraising
- Provide program support in the food bank, hotline, and clothesline as needed.
- Provide fundraising, administrative and logistical support as-needed
- Other duties as assigned
- Bachelor’s Degree in social services, social work or psychology, or a minimum of two years direct experience working with low income individuals in a social service, employment, or educational setting.
- The ability to communicate effectively in English, both verbally and in writing
- Bilingual in English and Spanish or Vietnamese or Somali strongly preferred.
- Experience in Microsoft office, database management,
- Demonstrated understanding of and sensitivity to the needs of local ethnic communities and low-income populations
- Excellent time management skills and the ability to work with limited supervision and considerable self-direction
- Ability to work effectively in a multi-cultural environment with co-workers, volunteers and clients
- Possess a valid Washington State driver’s license, a working automobile available to use for food bank business, proof of automobile liability insurance, and have a good driving record.
Wages and Hours: $15-20.00/hour, 40 hours per week, non-exempt. Weekends and some evenings will be required.
Benefits: Paid personal (sick) leave, vacation leave after six months, 9 paid holidays/year, health insurance, 401K after 6 months of employment.
Please submit resume and cover letter to Fran Yeatts, email@example.com.